Mont Maison features a wood-burning fireplace, two gas fireplaces and one outdoor gas fire pit.
The towns of Telluride and Mountain Village limit the number of wood-burning fireplaces to prevent the accumulation of smoke in the Telluride valley. Only a very few permits exist for
wood-burning fireplaces and are only attainable by purchasing from a current owner. No new permits are issued.
The owners have acquired a permit for Mont Maison which features a beautiful stacked stone wood-burning fireplace in the great room. Wood is stored to the left of the fireplace and kindling wood is located in front of the hearth. You may contact the caretaker at Snowy Peaks 970-728-1712 to restock the firewood which is located outside adjacent to the garage.
When a fire is burning, the doors of the fireplace should be open with the screen closed to prevent sparks from escaping.
The home also features two gas fireplaces located in the master bedroom on the 3rd floor and the media room on the bottom level. To operate the gas fireplaces, open the glass doors and turn on
the switch located on the lower right just inside the fireplace doors.
The doors must remain open while a fire is burning, otherwise the fire and pilot light will extinguish. If the fire does not light, please contact the caretaker to relight the pilot light.
Outdoor Gas Fire Pit
The outdoor gas fire pit is located in the center of the patio between the outdoor kitchen and Telluride Ski Resort's Double Cabins ski run. The patio and benches are heated, therefore snow
removal should not be necessary to operate the fire pit. To use the outdoor fire pit:
1. Remove the fire pit lid
2. Locate the gas pipe and lever adjacent to the fire pit stone bench, due south of the fire pit (uphill).
3. If necessary, remove snow to expose the gas lever.
4. Turn the gas on: lever up is off, lever parallel to the pipe is on.
5. Flip the switch on the lower right corner of the box below the gas lever.
6. The fire pit should light in 15-20 seconds.
7. To turn off: turn off the switch and move the lever to the "up" position.
If the fire pit does not light, turn off the switch and gas and contact the caretaker.